Research Interests –
Psychobiology of learning
Evolution of cognition
Relation of learning to fluid intelligence
Measuring memory malingering
Learning sciences and instruction
Teaching Interests –
Learning and memory
Psychology of consciousness
Computers and science education
Fall 2023 Courses
Psychology of Consciousness
Learning & Memory
Fall 2020 Courses
Experimental Psychology and Lab
- Koenitzer, J., Herron, J., Whitlow, J.W., Babuscak, C., Patel, N., Pletcher, R. & Christensen, J. (2021). Development and initial validation of the Perceptual Assessment of Memory (PASSOM): A simulator study. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 1-15.
- Whitlow, J.W., Jr., Brandon, S., Otero, K., & Christensen, J. (2020). Still the same: Evidence for a uniform similarity parameter in generalization and summation. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1-18 (Online publication)
- Webb, P., & Whitlow, J. W. (Bill). (2019). Merging cognitive and sociocultural approaches: toward better understandings of the processes of developing thinking and reasoning. In Theorizing the Future of Science Education Research (pp. 11–28). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-24013-4_2
- Whitlow, J.W., Jr. (2018). On the representation of novel stimuli in patterning and irrelevant cue discriminations. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Learning and Cognition.44, 322-339.DOI: 10.1037/xan0000173
- Webb, Paul, Whitlow, J.W., Jr. & Venter, D. (2017). From exploratory talk to abstract reasoning: A case for far transfer? Educational Psychology Review,29, 565-581.
- Whitlow, J.W., Jr. & Loatman, P. (2015). When patterning discriminations are harder than biconditional ones: A cue constellation approach. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Learning and Cognition,41, 354-370.
- Whitlow, J.W., Jr. (2013). A positive patterning advantage with complex but not simple patterning: A cue constellation approach. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology,66, 2118-2134.
- Whitlow, J.W., Jr. & Meier, I. (2007). Acting on emotions: The importance of emotion in public health messages. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Philadelphia, PA, March.
Science Education –